How to Clean Roofs Safely and Effectively Without Bleach
There are many different ways you can clean a roof but only few will deliver transformative results that will keep a homeowner happy and keep stains from moss, mold, algae and lichen from resurfacing. Our roof cleaning methodology, of course, uses our own Wash Safe premium cleaning products— never bleach so we're going to walk you through how to clean a roof using Wash Safe products.
We explain two different ways to clean your roof below. A regular cleaning application and a maintenance cleaning. What's the difference? A maintenance cleaning is cleaning your roof without a pressure washer. You spray the product on and let the rain wash away. It's important to note here that if you are a contractor, this isn't the method for you. 10 out of 10 times, a homeowner wants to see instant results and why wouldn't they? They have paid you to wash their roof so they want to see the complete removal of those stains from moss, mold, algae and lichen when they pull up to their home. No more black streaks on the roof. Likewise, if you're a homeowner and want to see instant results, you'll want to consider using a pressure washer to remove them that day. Otherwise, the maintenance cleaning lets you apply the product with a garden pump sprayer or other spray system and leave on over time with the rain eventually cleaning it off. Note: this takes time!! We often find that the seldom times we are left with a bad review is when a homeowner sprays on the cleaning formula and expects it to go away (like magic) before their eyes with a maintenance spray on and no pressure wash off. This does not work that way so, before going into your home improvement project, it is best to know when you can expect to see your results so you have a full understanding of how the cleaning process works and when your home will look like new again. If you follow the instructions and learn about the product you're using, your home can look like new again!
Roof Wash Premium Roof Cleaner General Use Information
Use Wash Safe Roof Wash on asphalt, wood, tile, slate, rubber, metal, composite or any other roofing material to clean and restore "like new" condition and avoid having to replace shingles. This Premium Roof Cleaner loosens surface debris as well stains caused by mold, mildew, black algae and grime. Stains rinse right off easily with Roof Wash, a pressure washer following an easy spray on and rinse application via garden pump sprayer.
- Visit Wash Safe for complete roof cleaning instructions
- Avoid scarring wood by using a Wash Safe “Soft Tip Nozzle” on your pressure washer wand.
Roof Wash Cleaning Preparation
Wash Safe Roof Wash is a strong concentrate. See Coverage Area to the right to determine how many gallons of solution you'll need.
- Cover and avoid all windows when spraying.
- Add 1/2 cup powder per gallon of warm-to-hot water. Double the strength to remove tough stains.
- Mix well and consistently for 15 minutes to activate the solution. You must stir consistently prior to use for best results.
Never mix with other cleaning agents or bleach!
Roof Wash Cleaning Application
- Apply to roof with garden style pump sprayer or other mechanical pump/spray system or application.
- Spray the entire dirty roof section.
- For instant results: after applying product rinse the roof with a pressure washer.
- To clean over time, apply 2 coats, the 2nd immediately after the 1st dries.
- Wait 45 days, apply 2 more coats.
- Let heavy rain rinse the roof